• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

BUG questions about WebP image

Hi,

I started using "Convert Images to WebP" option 5 days ago, I used "high" compression mode. I noticed that there were weird things happened.

(1). A lot of images' status showed "-", I checked the image folder, there was no .webp image generated for 70% images. Should every image be generated .webp file?

(2). some of the images were generated .webp image, but the webp size was larger than compressed size(the current size), how is that possible, .webp file size is bigger than compressed size? Does that mean the image files already over compressed? It should be smaller, otherwise, what point to generate .webp image files.

Is it possible to regenerate .webp file for the compressed image? what will happen for that already generated .webp file? Overwrite them or just simply ignore them?

Thanks.

Bruce

alexkovalev

Program developer
Staff member
Hi, Bruce

The weight of the webp image should not exceed the optmized image of the original.

Either an error has occurred on your site, or the webp images have already been converted. Our plugin does not overwrite images after changing the compression mode.

Now this problem solves image recovery plugin backup and re-optimization.

For each image, its copy should be converted to webp format, if this does not happen, then an unknown error has occurred. I need to know more about this to fix the problem.

The plugin has a built-in error logging system. Go to the settings page of the plugin and enable the “Error log” option, then go to the error log page and export the debug report. Send me a report by private message.

Best regards, Alex

Hi, Alex:

Because the plugin encountered php error last Saturday, I deleted and installed the plugin again. The error log right now is nothing to do with the above issues.

I cannot restore either because of this reinstallation. Luckily, before optimization last week, I download image files folder to my local drive, so I can simply upload them back to my website server, and re-optimize using lossless option. We will see what happen when generating .webp images.

By the way, do I need to delete the generated .webp file before re-optimization?

The above issues are only related to the custom folder. Right now, I am optimizing the default folder images, I am facing another problem. I already created a trouble ticket. I hope you already received such a request.

Thanks.

Bruce

Last edited:

alexkovalev

Program developer
Staff member
I answered you by email. If you do not receive an answer by email, you can write here.

Best regards, Alex