• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

QUESTION WP Retina 2x

Hi

Is there any chance you could add support so that when "auto optimization on upload" is on the additional thumbnails that are generated on every new image upload into the media library by the popular WP Retina 2x plugin are also optimized? The plugin does have an API for devs: WP Retina 2x

Currently Robin IO doesn't optimize those thumbnails or create WebP files for them.

Sergey Chernukhin

Support team
Beta tester
Yes, we've heard about this problem before, we will need time to fix it.
Thank you for sharing your opinion and telling us how to improve the plugin!

Best regards, Sergey.
WebCraftic team | Creative Motion team

Thanks @Sergey Chernukhin - in the interim, I guess the only way that I can get Robin IO to optimize those thumbnails is by manually using the "custom folder" option and selecting the current upload folder?

WP Retina 2x puts its thumbnails in the same upload folders as the media library images go, so /wp-content/uploads/2020/07

If I ask Robin IO to optimize that directory and it already has a lot of optimized images in it (i.e. the normal thumbnails that WP generates on upload and which Robin IO then optimizes) will it try to again optimize the already optimized files (and use up additional credits)?

Temyk

Developer & Support
Hello.

If I ask Robin IO to optimize that directory and it already has a lot of optimized images in it (i.e. the normal thumbnails that WP generates on upload and which Robin IO then optimizes) will it try to again optimize the already optimized files (and use up additional credits)?
In this case, the already optimized images will be optimized again and credits will be spent.

@Temyk OK thanks. But it is OK for me to select /wp-content/uploads/2020/07 as a custom folder and to re-optimize everything in it with Robin IO? I thought I read somewhere on this forum that this might mess up something because the files are placed in those upload folders by the media library and re-optimizing them like that would change the file hashes or file associations, or something.

Temyk

Developer & Support
After uploading images to the media library, WordPress saves their parameters: size, weight. If you optimize media library images using the standard Robin method, all this data is updated. If you optimize one of the folders separately, the data in the media library will not be updated.

@Temyk OK, so just some outdated file info in the media library then but it doesn't break anything. With what I'm doing sizes and weights would in any case stay the same, just the retina thumbnails from WP Retina 2x would then also be optimized.

Sergey Chernukhin

Support team
Beta tester
Hi

Is there any chance you could add support so that when "auto optimization on upload" is on the additional thumbnails that are generated on every new image upload into the media library by the popular WP Retina 2x plugin are also optimized? The plugin does have an API for devs: WP Retina 2x

Currently Robin IO doesn't optimize those thumbnails or create WebP files for them.
Hi @Jonas ! We did it and we need help testing, do you have a test site for this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Sergey Chernukhin - apologies for the late reply, the notification email for your message got put into my spam folder by Gmail.

You can find WP Retina 2x active on Authentic Safaris & Tours in Africa | Africa-Experience - if you look in the HTML source you'll see the various @2x image file names.

I've updated Robin IO and flushed all caches but I am currently still seeing the @2x jpg's being loaded as jpg's rather than as webp. Let me know if you want me to do something more specific for testing.