• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

QUESTION Can I target upload folders

dionsis

By default it's looking to optimise all my images. But at 100,000 images to process. I'd prefer to do it in smaller batches and particularly more recent upload folders.

I subscribed as the Custom Folders seemed like the option to achieve this, but it's only showing me folders that are not uploads/YEAR

If I could choose 2019/11 and optimise this months content, processing will take less time and I can optimise folders based on size to get biggest impact.

Temyk

Developer & Support
Hello.

The uploads/YEAR folders store files from the media library. If you optimize this folder directly, Wordpress will not know the correct information about these files. Therefore, we have eliminated the possibility to optimize these folders directly.

You can set up a scheduled optimization to avoid overloading the site

dionsis

But the Media Library tab is optimising all those folders, image by image.

What harm is done doing it as a big task as opposed to breaking it down into many smaller ones?

Temyk

Developer & Support
What harm is done doing it as a big task as opposed to breaking it down into many smaller ones?
If you optimize uploads folder directly, Wordpress will not know the correct information about these files.

dionsis

But does this plugin not optimise those folders and files?

If I click start optimising, it starts optimising images that are in my media library right?
So what happens to the files this way that doesn't happen if it were to be applied to specific folders.

I have 98000 images. It's optimising images with no discernable pattern. I would prefer to start with images uploaded in 2019/11/ then move to 2019/10 and slowly move back through my historic data

You say "Wordpress will not know the correct information about these files" - Can you elaborate on that, you're saying no without saying the why. What information, image metadata?

Temyk

Developer & Support
You described everything correctly. It is the metadata of images.

We like your idea to optimize your media library starting with the latest images.

dionsis

OK but when you automatize through the current process. Metadata isn't affected?

I don't see how it's different that it optimises a file inside 2019/11/file.jpg
versus me saying to the plugin, target files from November 2019 only

Doesn't the same optimisation happen? That's the part I'm trying to understand right now.

Temyk

Developer & Support
When a folder is optimized, the metadata does not change